The surgical stainless steel waterless cookware; I will explain first what surgical stainless steel is. Basically, it is a type of stainless steel used in making medical instruments. It is made from the highest grade of stainless steel. It can also be called marine grade stainless steel. It is strong and has a high level of corrosion resistance.
Waterless cookware is one constructed to allow cooking with minimal liquid thereby cooking food with its natural juices, oil or the water retained while rinsing the food. It is made to have a flat bottom which ensures optimal contact with the heat source, its lid forms a seal locking in moisture thereby making the food healthier and giving it a better taste.
Therefore, the surgical stainless steel waterless cookware is efficient cookware distinct from traditional cookware made from materials like aluminum, iron or light stainless steel. Its efficiency is ensured by the material, components of the steel used and the waterless technology.
The surgical stainless steel comes in two forms which is determined by the percentage of its components.
The 304 and 316 stainless steel. The number signifies the durability, quality and temperature resistance of the steel. The 304 stainless steel contains 8% Nickel and 18% Chromium while the 316 stainless steel contains 10% Nickel, 16% Chromium and an additional element; 2% Molybdenum. This added element increases the resistance of the 316 stainless steel to corrosion caused by sodium chloride and de-icing salts.
The 304 and 316 stainless steel has:
1) High tensile strength of 84-185 Kilopound per square inch(ksi) and
2) Yield strength of 42-140ksi.
The surgical stainless steel waterless cookware comes in different form.
1) The vacuum surgical stainless steel cookware: This type has a valve that controls the steam. It cooks the food with the steam produced or the water the food was rinsed with. This results in the retention of the nutrients, vitamins, taste and natural color of the food. In this method, a little amount of water might be added to meet the basic steam requirement.
2) The non-vacuum surgical stainless steel: This cooks the food with the steam at 100 Degree Celsius(boiling point)
3) The 5ply or 7ply: The number of ply in the cookware is the number of layers of metal used to make the bottom of the pot.
The number of layers determines how thick the bottom of the cookware is, this ensures even heat distribution. A good range is 5-7ply. The number of plies often determine how expensive the pot will be and the weight of the pot.
ADVANTAGES OF THE SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL WATERLESS COOKWARE
1) It saves time: It locks in the heat that allows the movement of hot air which cooks the food thoroughly and quickly.
2) It helps to cook healthier food by the use of the natural oils and juices of the food.
3) It locks in the heat moisture and component e.g. juices and flavour of the food thereby producing better tasting foods. It retains the taste and natural color of the food.
4) It is cost-effective: It reduces the cooking time thereby saving the use of electricity and gas.
5) It cooks on low or medium heat which is also a way of saving energy and conserving natural resources and preserving the nutrients in the food that can break down under high heat.
6) The use of the natural oils and juices in foods save the cost of purchasing other oil and fat, this also prevents obesity, high cholesterol in the bloodstream and saves from heart diseases. Use of oil also adds calories to the food, this is reduced in the use of the waterless cookware.
7) It is easy to clean as it is highly stained resistant and burnt spots can be cleaned off easily by boiling water.
8) The stainless steel does not flake or peel off, so its components do not enter the food.
9) It has a long lasting sometimes can last a lifetime. It is also recyclable.
10) It is resistant to scratch and dent.
11) Its shiny stainless steel finish gives it a beauty that will complement any kitchen.
12) It comes in different sizes.
13) It is easy to clean and dishwasher friendly.
PRICE OF THE SURGICAL STAINLESS STEEL WATERLESS COOKWARE
It can be purchased for about $500-1000 and often come with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturers.
NOTE: purchase a surgical stainless steel waterless cookware that has more weight as this means the steel is of high quality. The thicker the bottom the more even its distribution of heat.
Other helpful tips:
1) Always lower the heat source while releasing the steam from the valve during cooking. This conserves energy.
2) Always keep the lid shut while cooking: This prevents steam loss and prevent lengthening of cooking time.
3) Use soft materials to clean as this will increase the durability of the cookware.
4) If you use an induction stove, a 7ply surgical stainless steel waterless cookware with a carbon steel layer in between its layers will aid heat distribution.
5)The more the layers of ply, the more its heat conductivity, this will keep your food warm even after cooking.
6) While purchasing your cookware, ensure it has a warranty or return policy. Some have a lifetime warranty.